the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

By Request

Medical shows.... I'm thinking I could rant for hours on the subject. Most of it would be bad.

Grey's Anatomy... only watched it twice. That was enough. They don't treat nurses very well. I was in the kill mode for the resident who went all over the place saying he hated nurses. We nurses just **love** little pecker-heads like him. We eat people like him for breakfast.

They taste like chicken.

Just remember, you learn all the really important stuff from nurses. We can help your career or hurt it.

How close to reality is Grey's? Not. I don't ever remember seeing residents deliver lab slips or carrying body parts around. The episode on organ donation was particularly distressing. That is NOT, I repeat NOT, how we go about procuring organs. That any hospital would even **THINK*** of declaring a "John Doe" a donor and setting him up for harvesting his organs without EXHAUSTING all posibilities of finding family set organ donation back about 100 years. Good dramatic license, bad for everyone on a waiting list. (remember my first post?)

ER.... well, I liked it in the beginning.. although the pace is faster that a real ER. If we did that much for the entire 8 or 12 hours of every day we would die of exhaustion.

House.. haven't watched.

There was one on Lifetime(?) that I liked for a while.. it was about trauma.... They seem to have sensationalized it lately and I got bored.

Really, guys, if we showed you what it was like on a day-today basis, you would be bored. It's 5 minutes of total excitement/sheer terror/horrendous overload surrounded by 7.90 hours of same-old-same-old.

M*A*S*H - never worked in a war so can't comment, but I loved the show!

Scrubs - can't stand it... another one so far removed from reality that I can't watch.

I keep thinking that all the lay people out there think all this stuff is real. And they are being so misinformed. And mislead. And when life in my ER doesn't resemble the show the patients complain. Bitterly. My work life isn't like any of those shows.


It's better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home