the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Thank You Katie Couric

Dear Katie,

I just wanted to drop a note and say “THANK YOU” for my new job! Without that kick in the pants from you, heaven only knows how long it would have taken me to change things.

I’ve been in my current position for 9 years. Sometime last fall, I started to get restless, not really bored, just getting the feeling that it was time to move on.

So, I looked at ads, went on an interview or two, but couldn’t answer the question…… should I do something different at my current hospital, should I do my same position at a different hospital or should I try something new somewhere new? So I did nothing. Except look at more ads and ponder the possibilities.

And then you quit your job.

And I screamed.

And screamed and railed about how my-mornings-would-never-be-the-same and how-could-you-do-this-to-me, blah, blah, blah. And in the midst of all that screaming I listened to and read some of your interviews and something you said finally sunk in. ‘It’s time for a change.’

And the light bulb went off and my brain said…….. “It’s time for a change!”

And, suddenly, you leaving the ‘Today’ show didn’t seem so bad. After all, I can still see you… just somewhere new, doing something new.

Eight days after you left NBC, I interviewed for something new somewhere new. They offered me the position, and on August 7, I leave nursing/patient care and enter a world that combines the things I love the most (computers and teaching) with who I am (a nurse). I’ll be teaching computer documentation to nurses at a different hospital.

For the first time in my career, I will not be employed by the nursing department, but by the information technology department. I am equal parts terrified and ecstatic!

Thank you so much for leaving when you did. The push you gave me was priceless and I will remember it always.

Best of luck in your something-new-someplace-new. I hope you have as much fun as I expect to have.

Sincerely,

Chris

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

I hope that you truly sent/send this on to Katie.

I think it is awesome that you stayed in one place as long as you did. I also think it is awesome that you are moving on to something new.

Go Sis!

Love, Kay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home