the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

The best laid plans.....

Well...... things didn't go quite as planned..... heh heh heh... they went BETTER!!! Sort of.... ;-)

[sidebar]
Isn't it weird how you can never keep anything a secret if more than one person knows?? I ran into a couple of people at work on Thursday, who do NOT work in my department, who asked me if it was true that I was leaving...... -----EGADS/CRAP/SHIT/OH-MY-GAWD/HOW THE HELL DID YOU FIND OUT????????? went thru my head and the carefully crafted answer I had practiced and practiced JUST FOR THIS VERY SITUATION flew right out of my head and I blurted out no-one-knows-and-you-can't-say-A-THING!!!!!! I am such a doofus... I am busy working on who leaked what to whom.....

Now, back to the program.....
The #1 person on the list of people to whom I have to say "I QUIT!" wasn't at work Friday. Rats. Neither was the #2 person. I got a quick call from another person in my department Thursday night alerting me to the planned absences. Oh, well... then, can I call in sick? Honestly, my shoulders were soooo tense with stress on Thursday night that I was asking that seriously. (And I was totally unsure of my ablility to keep quiet). Then I was reminded of the department picnic being held on Friday... and how if I called in sick it would look rotten if I showed up for a beer.

What to do, what to do??? I should have called in sick. It was the slowest day in the ER in the last 9 years. It was so slow that the staff left by 2's and 3's to drive over to the picnic, chat and eat for an hour, and come back with food (for those of us that thought it was TOO DAMN HOT to go outdoors). And for as much as I dislike parties (weird change, that wasn't a problem 10 or 15 or 20 years ago) I'm not sure why I went. Although, as it turned out, I did get a tad of business done. All in all, a two hour appearance at a 98 degree 98% humidity picnic was not worth NOT calling in sick. No one would have missed me.

So... I went to work. And worked most of the day. And then my friend from Thursday night called around one to tell me that the job interview she had that morning had panned out and they had already called back and offered her the job !!! HOW TOTALLY FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!! She will be resigning about 2 weeks after I do. She has been there 14 years, I have been there 9. I wonder how many will follow us? I will have to keep in touch with someone.

I did keep quiet at work. I kept so quiet that people kept asking me if I felt alright.

Now I need to sit and write down all the things I want to say to the people I have to talk to. Then throw that list away and write down what I will actually say. Pink slip draft, part in pleasant company draft. Pretty simple.

I am sooooooo excited!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home