the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Lite is better...

I was listening to my favorite cooking show, Good Eats, one day when the host, Alton Brown, discussed soy sauce.

I'll have to admit, I don't think much about soy sauce. You get Chinese food, you get soy sauce. You cook Asian food, you use soy sauce. You have high blood pressure, you use soy sauce light.

Or do you?

Soy sauce is made from fermented soybeans. Look on the label of any Kikoman's and you see water, wheat, soybeans and salt. Look on the label of the 'lite' soy sauce I had in the 'frige and you see....

hydrolized soy protein

and corn syrup

?corn syrup? In soy sauce? YUCK!

and carmel coloring

and lactic acid...

I think I will stick with the natural stuff, salt be danged....


http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/june/cookout/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home