the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

...but nights off are longer....

Okay, there is a down side to nights.... went to bed Friday at 9 am, slept till 2ish pm, got up and did stuff... which included going out to dinner with my BB to celebrate our 2nd anniversary!! We supped at Emmett's Tavern & Brewing Co. on the advice of JT, one of the paramedics who frequents my ER. (Good Choice, JT!!!) The food was wonderful, the service was attentive and the ambiance was FABULOUS! Emmett's is located in an old warehouse-type building in downtown Palatine, just a short drive from BBs place. The ceilings were 20 feet high, the 3 dining rooms spacious and quiet with lots of big wood trim around the doorways and windows. I sat with my back to a fireplace and was totally toasty warm all evening! BB had Filet of with red wine mushroom sauce (which looked totally wonderful, even *with* the fungus on it) and I had Pan-Fried lightly breaded Walleye fillets... total heaven! There was soooo much on the plate that I brought some home for left-overs... which sounds bad, I know. But don't knock it 'til you've tried it! Besides... leftover walleye has an added benefit.... memories..... sitting here munching on cold walleye fillets takes me back to a trip I took with my best friend, J, many years ago to my cousin's house waaaaay up north (just shy of the Canadian border) in Babbitt, Minnesota. For the life of me, I can't remember if cousin Lynne's hubby, Dave, had cooked dinner the night before, or if we had gone to my aunts house for din-din, but *somebody* made us a whole gi-hugic plate of walleye. We ate till stuffed and saved the rest for the next day. Well.... the next morning found us sprawled out in the living room, zoning with the TV, with a plate of cold walleye between us. By the time my cousin got up, it was all gone..... (Who, us?? Eat *all* the leftovers?? Noooo, we would never do such a thing..... {burp}). And this morning's walleye is just as good as that was.... and *THAT* is saying something about Emmett's cooking.... nothing, but nothing, is as good as walleye fixed by the relatives.....

But, I digress.... the down side of night shift.... got up Friday at 2pm, went to BBs, ate dinner, by 9 pm I was soooo ready for bed I couldn't keep my eyeballs open.... finally got there, laid down, closed my eyes and by 11:20 I was wide awake and rarin' to go! Fortunately, BB couldn't sleep either so we puttered around with his new toy (TV on the computer) for a while and finally crawled back to bed at 3 am. Then it was awake by 7:30 today! Sheesh... it's 10:30 now and I am ready for a nap again.... I envy BB... he is still asleep. I may just join him once I pop the birthday pie out of the oven (his birthday today!).

Happy 44th, Babe!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home