the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Monday, January 22, 2007

What price, convenience?

Have ya had those days when something pops into your head and you say to self, gee... I should get that taken care of... and just as soon as it's in your head, the thought is gone. Long before you ever think of getting a pen and making note to self (which is is okay cuz I'd just lose the note), long before the thought imprints on short-term memory (which is iffy on a GOOD day)... poof! it's gone.

Hmmm... I should do a better job of writing things down... maybe get a little spiral bound notebook.. you know the ones.. pocket sized with the holes on one side, like a mini notebook... anyway, get a little notepad and put a string thru the holes and hang it around my neck. And hang a pen on another string. And look like more of a dork than I do now.

Or maybe one of those little mini voice recorders. I think I had one once...

Or I could just write notes on my arms... they are always handy, although I don't always have a pen... sometimes just a pencil. That would hurt!

And sometimes I have those little lightning-fast thoughts more than once. Sometimes even three times.

That would commonly be referred to as a sign. Or maybe a SIGN! Or "HEY STUPID.... HOW ABOUT A LITTLE ACTION ON THAT THOUGHT THERE??"

Alas... no such action occurred. What else is new?

Last Sunday I arrived home from Fla-la-land and spent the afternoon unpacking. I toyed briefly with the thought of going grocery shopping, but figured I would do that after "60 Minutes" was on. (Silly me, no "60 Min"... just football games) I did laundry instead. Lotsa laundry.

Chuck arrived around 6 or so for his ride to the airport. He was scheduled to speak at a gathering of people who use the product he invented (wireless internet - Canopy) in Salt Lake City (Hi, Dooce!). I was a tad concerned that he wouldn't make it out... Kay and I were delayed for an hour on the tarmak waiting for a gait to open after we landed at O'Hare... it was snowing and all the planes were being de-iced. She missed her connecting flight, but was lucky and got a seat on the next plane (which was delayed leaving... big surprise). It was snowing pretty good when she got home and she was not able to drive out to the country and see Lily-dog.. :-( But Lily was doing well and got picked up on Monday. (BTW, Lily is eating well and staples are out and she is playing! YIPPEE!!) But, I digress...

We decided to take my truck as it had 4 wheel drive and the roads were messy. So, out we go into the snow. Drag the suitcase to the truck, open the door, put key in, no go. rur, rur, ruuuuuuuur. No turning over, no start, no go. Had lights and electric door locks, just no engine. Oops. Guess I should have listened to that thought all those months ago that said.... hmmm.... battery is 5 years old, maybe you should get another one before winter.

Trundle back thru the building, out the front door to Chucks car, go to airport. Borrow said car to drive self to work in morning (after a failed attempt at jumping my truck - turns out I didn't do it correctly.... oops). Called the local garage (Dakota K Auto Repair on Dundee!) and had them go fetch. $219 later my truck runs fine. $120 for battery and a bunch more for the tow and a little extra for some other stuff they looked at (hey, as long as it's at the garage, ya know?).

Could I have gotten a new battery on my own? Yup. Would have meant driving home to fetch dead battery (find gloves for yucky jobs, located somewhere in apt), put battery in Chucks trunk, drive to Sears 15 miles away (for a Diehard battery), drive back home (by now it's dark and cold outside), hook damn battery up (a process for which I have not the appropriate tools, and besides, the arcs and sparks from the battery wires makes me jumpy) and reprogram the damn radio.

Instead, I inturrepted dinner for the lovely Megan and Kate (co-workers who live near me), conned them into meeting me at the shop, we drove to my house, and they continued on to sewing class. I hopped in my truck and got groceries, bought a cookbook or 2 and joined Weight Watchers (down a pound and a half as of this morning!).

What price, convenience? $219 was cheap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home