the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanks-Deer-Giving

It's nice to know that at this age I can still have virgin experiences. The northern most relatives (hello Lynne!!! - this is for you!!) will be happy to know that at the ripe old age of 46, halfway thru the Michigan open season (firearms) for deer, I got my first one at 11:30 on Wednesday!!! A 6 point buck - just a little guy, but in this case I couldn't be picky....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It was 11:30 at night.

I was doing 70 miles per hour up the interstate.

It was the middle of nowhere.

If he had just kept going in the direction he was headed, he wouldn't be on the dinner table at the nice sheriff deputy's house today.

But I came around the corner and he was in the middle of the road and he made a u-turn back into my grill.
No light

I wonder what my heart rate was by the time I got over to the side of the road?

I was lucky. No poke holes in the radiator. Just a missing headlight and some dents in the bumper and quarter panel. Deer didn't fare so well. Although the deputies weren't able to fine him before they had to leave. They promised to come back and get him. Kay says it's common practice up here to take fresh road kill home.... I can hear the deputy on the cell phone to his brother now.... "Hey, bro... I gotta take another call... but I got a freshie out here on the interstate... can you come gut it and get it home?"

On the upside of things -I didn't pee my pants at the time of impact!! Whoo-Hoo!!

On the down side... No one stopped.... except me.

I gave thanks.

1 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Flaurella said...

Smart girls drive big bad trucks!

Glad you are okay. Even a 6 pointer can do a helluva lot of damage. We dodge little Florida deer all the time and thank goodness we know where they cross on the four-lane. Still, at least someone we know gets their car hammered every year and we all have to dodge them on practically a weekly basis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home