the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Coasting vs. Stretching

Comfortable vs. Challenging

Small vs. Huge

100 vs. 1000

Older vs. Brand New

Level II vs. Level I

Suburbs vs. Downtown

Drive vs. Train

Sleepwalking vs. Scared Shitless

Minor vs. Major

Known vs. Unknown

Comfortable vs. Challenging

I was encouraged to apply for a new job today. The lady on the phone was doing her darnedist to get me to apply. I turned her down flat because of the commute. So she talked the job up some. And I asked some questions. And she talked the job up some more. And I asked a couple more questions. And she said that maybe it was time for me to stretch instead of coasting. And now, several hours and one conversation with the BB later, I am thinking I should pull my resume together and at least go for an interview.

Northwestern Memorial Hospital Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Downtown Chicago
It's a Level I Trauma Center that sees a whole lot more patients a year than my suburban hospital (100 vs 1000+). And a whole lot more major trauma than my place. And the building is brand new.

The idea of changing jobs is titillating. I've been at my current job for 8 years and for the first time I have come up with no goals for the upcoming year. Not the best thing to say in your annual review. I can do my current job half asleep. And as much as I would like it to, I know the institution won't change it's ways and try something new. It's the same old/same old every month/every year. But I like it. I'm really comfortable. I'm well paid. I still enjoy what I do. I'm vested in a pension plan for the first time.

I may be just the tiniest bit bored.

Changing jobs would be interesting, but would bring it's own set of problems. I would have to commute (yuck). Current commute by car is 30 minutes. to downtown I'm looking at 1-1.5 hours each way. From BBs house it would be easy. He lives just across the street from the train station. But it would suck in the winter. The hospital is 2 miles from the train station. But the woman I talked to today commutes from here. She could show me the ropes. Commuting from my house would be horrible. It's 2 miles to the train station and 2 more to the hospital. (sigh) So much to think about.

Like finding a retirement plan that isn't tied to a job.

I think I'll call her tomorrow and see if I can hang out with her one day next week.

It might be time to move it on up to downtown.

4 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!

Milly

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Flaurella said...

Change is a good thing. A least give it good thought and spend a day or two at the new job as you decide. Life is too short to be bored for too long. However, there is nothing wrong with comfortable, especially if you are talking about shoes.

You do have your options set to email you comments as they arrive, right? How do you like FLICKR?
hugs,
FLA ~

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an exciting opportunity - but as you say, there is a drawback - the commute. But think of an hour's worth of reading or writing or playing on the puter with no driving worries. It's something to think about. Whatever you choose, you know we still love you no matter what.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really pictured you as the "comfortable" type, but even if you're ready to embrass change that commute does suck! However, if you want some extra down time for reading, etc it may be just what you need. I'm not very helpful, am I?

BTW, Shannan LOVED your gift....SO thoughtful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home