the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Random patterns in life

Mommy & meMom and I went to a quilt thingie last Saturday... thingie.... I'm not sure what to call it... a show... a trunk show... Why is it called that? Because the presenter dragged all kinds of things out of a couple of *trunks* (cleaverly camo-ed as suitcases) and showed us all kinds of things to do with quilt blocks and designs and stuff. It was veddy interesting.

The speaker was a tiny little woman from California, Mary Ellen Hopkins. What a pistol!! The glasses tell you all you need to know about her personality!Glasses She was a RIOT!! Rapid fire talk, and show and tell, and jokes and jokes and jokes!!! But, man oh man, the things she could do with a quilt square.... and all simple manipulations of squares and strips and triangles. I couldn't even begin to explain, but I'll show you what she's done.....FlyingGeese-KansasDugout Mary Ellen is totally amazing! I have several of the quilts here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94935649@N00/ There was one block design that I can remember (because it's reallyreallyreally simple) called Kansas Dugout that I really liked....KansasDugout It's just a square with colored corners. Simple, but you can make some cool patterns with it.... So for the last few days I have been thinking about quilts and patterns and such.... And today, it happened.... I was walking down the hall at work and looked down at the tile floor.... and what did I see???? KANSAS DUGOUT in dark and light blue!!!!!!! I was cracking up!!! As it's going to be about 900 degrees outside for the next week while I am on vacation, I may just sit in my sewing room and experiment!

That is, I will sit and experiment in between the JOB INTERVIEW (have I mentioned that I am scared shitless yet??), and the I-have-to-work-for-one-day-in-the-middle-of-vacation meeting and the haircut and the horsing around and the lolly-gagging and you get the picture!! But, I am ready for a break... the subject of the meeting will be something I really enjoy, so going isn't a chore and I have no plans (no MUST DO projects, no travel, no nothing, except a JOB INTERVIEW), I am just going to go with the flow. (i.e.-I will be sleeping all week) I go back on July 5th... maybe with a resignation in hand???

(mumbling to self.....)don't count the chickens just yet, the eggs are all in one basket and the cookie hasn't crumbled yet so I should mind my p's and q's and and and..... Have I mentioned that I'm scared? ;-)

I am probably breaking all kinds of copyright showing the quilts, but..... they are sooooo beautiful!! And Mary Ellen has given me ideas for what to do with some of the fabric I have 'stashed' away! THANKS MARY ELLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep breath.... one more day of work to get thru.... then 10 days of vacation..... YIPPEE!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home