the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

You've got to be able to talk to persuade.....

Every once in a while I need to step back and remember that even people I don't like can say things that I agree with... or at least things that I can't dismiss without examining.

It's no secret that I don't like Jessie Jackson. And I almost turned off the radio yesterday when he was interviewed on my very favorite radio program. But I didn't. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm glad I listened.

Jessie was talking about his next trip to the Middle East to try to secure the release of the captured soldiers and journalists. The radio host was on my side when he brought up the 'going for Jessie's sake' argument that I always use. But Jessie explained how he has talked to the world powers asking them to talk to Hezbollah and Syria and how the powers-that-be said.... sure... as soon as they release the soldiers, we will talk. End of conversation.

And then Jessie said, "You've got to be able to talk to persuade."

And the rest of the conversation faded into a pleasant buzz in the background of rush hour traffic as I rolled that phrase over and over in my mind.

You've got to be able to talk to persuade.

So simple. So profound. Never stop talking. Never stop communicating. Slamming the door in someone's face or inflicting the silent treatment on the one you are miffed at never works. History (personal and global) has proven that time and again.

So... to all the people I've slammed doors on. To all the people I've given the silent treatment.....



IT'S JESSIES FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
........................................................................flee............................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home