the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Friday, March 16, 2007

The "POP" heard 'round the parking lot

For the most part, yesterday was an okay day. There was a fight at work Wednesday when I was off. Honestly, I leave them alone for one day and look what happens... sheesh.

I was a good girl on the way home and dropped several boxes of clothing and misc. stuff off at Goodwill (including 3 pair of shoes). Went to the grocery store and forgot to get carrots to put in my salad. Oops. Got almost home and Chuck called and asked if we could go to the store to pick up a little fridge for under his desk at work. Sure... I like shopping... especially if he is spending.... pulled into the parking lot and picked him up and off we went.

Got to the store, got the fridge. Got out to the truck with the fridge on a little flat bed cart. Opened the truck. Chuck picked up the box, stumbled and the day went from okay to not-so-okay.

He was falling backwards towards the flat bed cart. And since I was right on the other side of the cart I thought I would move so he and the cart didn't run into me. I picked up my left foot, twisted/turned to the left and put my foot down and I felt a sensation in my left butt that must have been the equivalent of the 'shot heard 'round the world.' It was the loudest "POP" I have ever heard my body make. I was stunned. And OH-MY-GAWD did it hurt. On a one-to-ten scale of pain (1 the least, 10 the most) I was running 25.

I must have made some strange noise because an entire family across the parking lot turned to stare. One of the men with that group came running over to see if we needed help. Chuck was sprawled on the ground and I was stuck in a bent over, legs in a ballerina-unnatural stance, wondering if I could breathe without sucking air between my clenched teeth. The bottom of my foot was numb and it felt like a lightning bolt had gone thru my leg.

I've been having problems with this particular part of my leg for about 6 weeks. Something deep inside just under that crease between butt cheek and leg has been bothering me. Can't figure out what it is, don't remember doing anything to injure it. But it hurts... to the point of not being able to run. Not good, but not annoying enough to go see someone.

Whatever it was, it's WORSE now.

Chuck helped me straighten up and piled me into the passenger seat, loaded the fridge and off we went. Dropped the fridge at his office and by then the pain was less and I could bear weight so we continued on to dinner. (Fluffy people should quit reading here as they may gain weight just from the description). We ate at Houlihan's. Oops. Talked our server into bringing us a big plate of chips and salsa. I had 3 mini-tinis (totally yummy, chocolate, key lime and guava. Thanks for the inspiration, Flau!!!), baked potato soup (hey, they didn't have corned beef and cabbage on the menu, I got the next best thing!), and chicken enchiladas with a chipotle sauce. YUMMY!!

The motrin and the -tinis helped with the pain... but my leg don't work so good. I used Chuck to balance myself last night. He makes a great crutch!!! I have an old wood cane in the closet and I got it out last night and put it to good use. Also found some 9 year old Vicodin in the closet. It helped too!!

I am going to be fun teaching tonight and this weekend. Think I will take one of the students and park them on the lectern computer and I will prop myself on a stool. Will also drag my cane. I'll leave the Vicodin at home.... hee hee hee Speaking of which, I suppose I should get ready for work.

Old age... another day another body part fails... Ain't life grand.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, shouldn't you go have that checked out????

A concerned sister!

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that motion!!!

A concerned cousin!

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes go get checked out... That hurt to just read.. Is this the same area you pulled several years ago? Sounds bad hon... go to the doctor.. I imagine when you worked at Gottlieb it was more convenient..

mike393

 

Post a Comment

<< Home