the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rambles without guilt

I blink my eyes and half the month goes by.

I was off today. Once you get out of the habit of being off work on weekdays, they seem exotic and strange when you get them. I was up early. Worked on little dinky projects that I never quite get to on the weekends. It was strangly relaxing.

Commuting in surface (as opposed to expressway) traffic lets you see things that should be restricted to the privacy of ones bathroom. Door closed. The other day it was a portly, elderly gentleman digging in his passenger-side ear canal with a key. That is WRONG on so many levels. Immediately after seeing him go for China, I had the most irresistable itch in my drivers-side ear. Nearly drove me wild. Attacked it with a Q-tip in the privacy of my bathroom. Good thing I was only 4 blocks from home.

Had a fluffy person meeting tonight. The subject was emotional eating. (too bad this isn't TV... you would have just witnessed me typing that last period, getting up and going to the kitchen to get a napkin and stopping by the freezer for 3 teaspoons of ice cream) I did not enjoy the meeting. The leader is bound and determined sold on the idea that if you eat when you aren't hungry, that it's emotional eating. She wasn't buying anyone's assertion that sometimes we eat bad things just for the sheer joy of eating them. I'm going to run with the herd on this one. I eat ice cream when I am not hungry. Sometimes I eat it when I feel full. I eat it because I LIKE it. Pure and simple. I like ice cream. I like the way it tastes. I like the mouth feel. I like the cold. I like that you can eat it straight out of the carton or in a bowl all dressed up with fruit or syrup or milk and chocolate chips. I like that it turns into floats and milkshakes. I just like ice cream. And the fluffy person with the white and black striped shirt likes chocolate glazed doughnuts. And the fluffy person with the long gray hair likes candy bars. And the fluffy person on the far side of the room eats out of unconscious habit because some dork at work puts out a bowl of candy that she passes all day long. She walks and dips just because it's in her path. I do the same. Me and M&Ms at work on Tuesday. Knew I shouldn't eat them. Did it anyway. Didn't feel guilty afterword. (that usually doesn't set in until I've eaten a whole bag of them... about 1500 calories-30 points worth. I felt guilty after that.) And I just read Flau's blog. Now I want to go buy a bunch of flavored vodka and make drinks.

I won't feel guilty if I do that, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home