the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Monday, August 22, 2005

A Meme... My first Meme....

What fun!! There I was, just minding everyone elses business and reading blogs and blogs and blogs... and I found one about a meme.... And I read it. And it was interesting....

A meme is: "A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another." In the blogger world, a meme is like a theme passed from blog to blog.


And she asked for volunteers.... so I stuck my hand up... and she answered!!! Here are the questions (and my answers-warning... diarrhea of the fingertips in progress) from VetMommy :


1. What kind of nursing do you do? What is the best part/worst part of your job? I do things not connected directly with patient care. I have a 2 part job, Emergency Medical Services Coordinator and Trauma Coordinator. For the EMS side, I go out to fire departments and give continuing education (CE) classes every month to the EMTs and paramedics. I also provide CE for the ED nurses who answer the ambulance radio. The position also includes lots of paperwork I'd rather not do, some meetings to go to, policy to set, re-education to deliver and a lot of PR between pre-hospital providers and the ED staff. The other part, Trauma Coord., comes from my hospital being a Level II Trauma Center. I keep all the data on the injured patients we see in the ED and admit or transfer to other hospitals (and the deceased victims of injury). I do the same for all violence patients seen in the ED. I provide CE for nurses who are trauma certified, do a lot more paperwork and do quality assurance work to make sure we are complying with the state rules and regs on trauma. (Do I sound like a desk jockey yet, or what???) The job is a lot more fun than it sounds.... The best part? Being able to get out of the office during the day!! Even in bad weather.. the change of scenery is great! And makes me the envy of the ER! The worst part? The never-ending paperwork!!!


2. Is your greyhound retired/rescued from the track? What's his story? WOW!! Where did you get the greyhound info?? I don't remember posting anything about the dogs.... They aren't mine. They belong to my sister. She rescued Spinner about 5 years ago, got Cricket not long after that and then I'm not sure who came next... she wound up with one of Crickets daughters... Lily... and added a cockapoo to the mix when the pet psychic (?) said Cricket needed a baby to take care of. (That may have been shortly after Spinner crossed the bridge.) Ummm... yup, that's it... Winnie (named after Grandma) the cockapoo, then Lily the barn dog. Cricket was helped over the bridge not too long ago when it was decided she had bad dementia. They have all been great dogs!! Unique, each of them!
I have 2 catz.


3. My sister loves Chicago, but sadly I've only seen the airport. What sites and restaurants would you recommend to a visitor to Chicago? The Bean. Start with the Bean. I like to walk and shop... so Michigan Ave, Oak Street and State Street are a must for a day of window shopping and such.... Marshall Fields on State is an absolute MUST for the architecture!!! I never tire of walking thru that building. Lunch in the Walnut Room is another must! Especially at Christmas with the tree up! If you are really energetic, keep walking north to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Totally free!! And fun... and where I fell in love (but that's another story!). Then walk or bike the lakeshore...absolutely beautiful and full of people for watching on the weekends. The museum loop... Field, Science & Industry, Art Institute and Comtemporary Art. Get a neighborhood map and do the tour.... Swedish/Nordic in Wrigleyville, Greektown, Chinatown, and all the Indian shops on Devon. I'm horrible with the eats part.... I know that there is a popcorn shop on Michigan Ave that always has a line out the door... winter and summer... start there to stimulate your appetite.... best breakfast (for me) is in the 'burbs at Lumies on Roosevelt at Summit in Villa Park. Lunch would be any Portillo's for a dog or Italian beef or burger.... Dinner... hmmm... there is an Italian place downtown... I can find it but can't name it... It's in the middle of the shopping!! Carson's Ribs! nuff said about that. Fanny May Candy for Trinidads.... Any farmer's market... I don't eat dinner downtown much (once a year, maybe) but have a favorite in my backyard... Anyway's.... good personal pizzas and I have a shrimp spaghetti dish I always get.. YUMMMMMM!!!!

4. What home improvement project are you most proud of? Totally unfair question... that's like asking which child you love more! Each project has it's own charm.... there was the nesting week shortly after I moved in...closet shelves and little things. There is the never-ending backyard landscaping that is waiting, once again, for the temperature and humidity to drop before I restart. There was the fence installation (where we had 5 people trying to wrangle a 2-man post-hole digger!). And then there is Tsunami Toilet. I suppose she's the winner... mostly because I am in love with my new toilet!!! ;-)

5. What's your favorite vacation destination?
No contest.... Birch Lake in Minnesota, just outside Babbitt... which is just down the road from Embarrass, where Dad graduated high school and where the coldest temp in the nation often resides..... 35 degrees this morning (Aug 22). There is a reef named for my dad's parents in Birch Lake. Borrow my cousins husbands boat, camp on the island and motor over to Stump Bay for some walleye! There is no place like it on earth. I love it!

Like this meme? Want an interview of your own? Instructions:

1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying “Interview me.” You must leave your blog address so I can think of good questions for you! Caveat: Offer is limited to the first 5 responders with a blog.

2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person’s will be different. I’ll post the questions in the comments section of this post.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Happy meme-ing!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home