the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Tsunami Toilet-Round 2

What a flipping mess. Rule one... wear rubber gloves. Rule two... wear eye protection. Rule three.. don't strip the bolt with vice grips before you take the nut off. Rule four... when using the circular saw to chop thru wood that is moldy, you should probably wear an N-95 filter mask.T5 This was the easy part. And it wasn't easy. I have many pics of my day on flickr.com.. Click the pic and it will take you there.... there are a whole bunch.

I have 40 years of mold growing on the subflooring. The corners at the bathtub are so wet and soft you can stick a screwdriver thru them. (sigh) I think I may have to bite the bullet and gut the bath this week. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $309 for the new tub and surround. $200 for a toilet $200 for a vanity $200 for the sink $150 for the medicine cabinet ... $80 for a ceiling fan... drywall, plumber to fix the pipe.... the turd who roughed the sewer pipe in put it too close to the wall. I can leave it where it is and get a compact tank and toilet (yes, I found one tonight at Home Despot) or I can have a plumber put in an offset pipe and flange and get a standard toilet. Same $$ for the toilet. Prolly should have a plumber anyway because of all the wrestling I did with the pipe to get the flange off. (sigh)

Many choices.... 1) gut the room and hire a contractor to put in new ceiling, walls, exhaust fan, tub and floor, and fix sewer pipe. I can install the toilet, medicine cabinet and vanity, and linoleum. 2) let the subfloor dry for a week and put a coat of Kilz over it to coat the mold. (The tub is solidly in place, although the wall behind the faucet is a little mushy and the home inspector recommended I fix it). Install new subfloor just around the toilet hole, install new floor and add toilet. (cheapest way) 3) Consult Daddy 4) Consult Beloved Boyfriend. Choices, choices.

They will wait for tomorrow. At least the tub still works.

And, no, I am not peeing in a bucket. I have a toilet downstairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home