the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

I'm too old for this.....

Ugggggg... It only takes one 8-hour shift on the floor to remind me how much I like my desk job! It's hard to believe that it's been 9 years since I worked the floor full time. I don't know that I would have the stamina to do it 5 days a week. And I really don't think I could do 3 12-hour shifts a week anymore either. Or maybe I'm just out of practice and I would rebuild my stamina. Don't know. Don't think I want to find out.

I do know that my feet REALLY hurt when I got home last night. And for the first time in a long time, I didn't do any work of any kind when I got home. I sat and read a book and the newspaper. No TV, no radio. No internet. No blog. No email. Just me and reading material.

But.... even tho my feet died, I also know that I was appreciated yesterday. I spent most of my day caring for one patient. He came in at 8:30 and I didn't transfer him to ICU until 4 (an hour after my shift officially ended). He consumed most of my day, caused me to miss lunch (do you know that Snickers bars are worth 7 points on Weight Watchers??), and negatively impacted the care my other patients received (thank heavens my co-workers picked up the slack) (that is-when they were not in my room helping me with my patient-sometimes there were 4 or 5 of us at bedside)... but when I left the family in the waiting room, they all said thank you and told me that I was a great nurse and they really appreciated the way I cared for their family member.

It makes the sore feet worth it.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you had a statisfying day at work even though it was tough on the body.

I think I have consumed most of my extra 35 points yesterday. I am going to have to work on my journaling tomorrow to figure out. Friday night we might have to eat healthy. The good thing is that we only ate 2 meals a day as we slept in both times.

Love, Kay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home