the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

For my friend, Warren aka da Hammer

Warren W. Welke
1943-2006
Warren W. Welke
Dear Warren,

Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten yourself into. I suppose it means you're going to be a no-show for dinner at Lawry's after the auto show next year (like someone else we know!). I'll have to start calling you David, Jr.

I know I haven't been the best friend to you over the years, breezing in and out of your life like the wind. Dropping in unexpectedly. Disappearing for years at a time. But you were always there for me. Always ready with a shoulder when I need to cry. Always ready with a joke when I needed a laugh. Always there.... remember the year I needed surgery down in Miami over Christmas and I wasn't sure if we would be able to get Mom a plane ticket so she could be with me? You said not to worry... that if Mom couldn't get there, I wouldn't be alone... you wouldn't let me go through it alone. You were always there for me. (By the way... a belated thanks for the phone call right after I got back from the recovery room... I don't remember any of the conversation, but Mom says my side of the chat was the most hysterical thing she had ever heard! You really shouldn't be chatting up people under the influence of drugs.... oh, wait... that was your job, Mr. Officer Vice Lord !!! Silly me!) You were always there for me.

And you are still here for me. Monday morning I sat at my desk in tears after talking to Jayne, all the while, flipping through the yellow pages looking for a plumber. (There is a tiny little problem with the basement drain pipe which leaves a tiny little sewer smell which is not conducive to selling the house, which I am doing.. there is so much to catch you up on.) Anyway, I digress.... I was looking for a plumber. I don't know anyone out in my area so I was doing a random search... and I turned the page and there was Dhamer Plumbers. Named for you, they must have been. I hired them. They will be at the house Saturday (just about the time you take one last ride around town. I'll be thinking of you).

Do you remember the night we met? Two in the morning or so... Crazy Mary, the paramedic, had been down at the station taking blood pressures and yours was so high she dragged you to the ER at Mercy and we took it again and, yup, it was high. I can still see you sitting on the bed shaking your head, not believing you let yourself get talked into a check-up. It was the start of a great friendship for us. Almost 20 years now. Hard to believe, isn't it?

I can't imagine what you are experiencing now.... or what greeted you on arrival.... I can hear Crazy Mary's screams of joy from here..... "Waaaaaaaaaren!!!!!!! OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!" She must be beside herself... and you must be running in the opposite direction!!! She was such a nut. She's had several years head start on you up there... you have some catching up to do. Have fun!

Life here isn't the same old-same old anymore. I didn't get the chance to tell you... I gave up nursing (at least the hospital/sick people part) a couple months ago and took a new job in the computer department at a hospital way north of here. I love it!! I get to teach computers to the new hire nurses. I think I've found my calling. The only down side is the drive.... 40 miles due north on I-294 in rush hour twice a day. It's driving me (haha-get it? driving me?) crazy! Last Friday it was almost 2 hours to get home... that's why I'm selling the house. And why I need a plumber. Must fix the boo-boos before closing. (Which I'm not anywhere near yet, but there's hope.... I met a really nice couple tonight who are very interested and want to come back for another look-see... are you helping me still? Of all the people who have been over to see it, they are the only people to express interest. Thanks, dude! I needed this today.)

I miss you, Warren. It won't be the same... going back to the Quad-Cities and knowing you aren't there. You didn't even say good-bye.

I guess I'll just have to wait until my time comes and then you and Mary can greet me when I cross over. It will be just like old times. (David will probably be a no-show up there too.... wanna bet?)

Take care of yourself and watch over us still here.

We'll see you soon.

Your friend always,

Chris

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Flaurella said...

Steena,
I'm sorry about your friend. Warren sounds like someone I would have loved to have known.
hugs,
FLA ~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home