the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Learn Something New Every Day

Today I learned that vanilla is an orchid. Got just a hint of it from a CBS Sunday Morning piece on orchids yesterday and inadvertantly read more about it in my new book, "I'm Just Here For More Food" by Alton Brown (it's all about baking). He had a nice sidebar about vanilla.
Alton said there are 2 varieties used commercially, Bourbon and Tahitian. The pods take a year to ripen (if) you can get the plant to grow. It's taste depends on where it's grown and how it's processed (just like coffee). And... most surprising...imitation vanilla extract contains vanillin and coumarin, the same exact ingredients in 'real' vanilla. (And that I shouldn't be such a snob about using it.) And I will use it... just as soon as I finish up using the quart bottle of double strength Mexican vanilla that sits in my cupboard.

Happy Cooking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home