the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Older age...

I've noticed a strange and unsettling thing recently. Well, not really recently... more like somewhat-been-there-all-along-just-getting-worse.

Sentimentality. It's totally out of control.

It started with the Pepsi Christmas commercial years ago... puppies and kids. Normal, snot-nosed, badly dressed kids and puppies. I have no idea if they were in the same commercial. Might have been 2 different ones. Brought me to tears.

Then I started crying with the Budweiser Christmas ads with the snow and horses and dalmations.

That morphed into tearing up for award shows and Miss America.

Now it's chick flicks. "You've Got Mail" "Sleepless in Seattle" "Stepmom" "Ghost" "Father of the Bride" (1991) "Beaches" "Moonstruck" You get the idea.

But yesterday was the worst by far..... I broke into tears at the end of Overhaulin'. I didn't even know this show existed. I was channel surfing. I did not intend to watch the whole thing. I was supposed to be cleaning and stuff. It's a vehicle makeover show. The team steals your car, totally refurbishes it and surprises you by returning basically a new vehicle. It's like "Extreme Home Makeover" only for cars. This week the person who got overhauled is the guy who started the show, Chip Foose. It really was quite cool and they didn't do it in a week like they normally do, they took about 3 months (I think). They stole a pickup truck that Chips father had driven and given to Chip, who wanted to pass it on to his son. He had many plans for the trucks makeover, just never had the time and besides, his son is only 6... I'm thinking Chips dad was the instigator for this one. Chip was totally bummed when the truck came up missing and totally flumoxed when it showed up again. The truck was brought to a hot rod auto trade show and hidden in the booth (whatever) of the company that provided the engine for the pickup. The engine companies owner was in on it... totally surprised Chip.

I bawled for a good 20 minutes.

I am losing it.

Time to go inhale paint fumes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home