the RATS of moose

The Random Access ThoughtS of a mid-west, approaching-middle-age, nurse starting the next phase of life.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Old dog, new trick....

Last weekend was fun.... hotter than Hades outside, so stayed in and played in the basement. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to disguise my boo-boos in the cabinet making department. The drawers don't fit well... umm.. well, they don't fit at all. I need some significant filler wood strips to get them to work right. So, taking a page from Dad's book, I measured many times. And measured once more, just to be sure. Then there was a bunch of horsing around with the table saw to figure out how to cut a piece of wood an inch and a half wide. Do you put the big part on the right side of the blade and let that 1.5" strip fall off as "waste"? Or do you try to set the fence to 1.5"? Much horsing around. Unable to decide, I revved up the table saw and tried it both ways. On several different pieces of wood. There was a little problem with binding.... I think there was smoke at one point. (but, unlike my father, I did NOT set off the fire alarm!) And then I tried it on some more wood. When I got up to my knees in sawdust, I finally had some strips that should've worked. Should have. I stuffed them into the cabinet with the drawer and they fit. They fit really well. They fit so well that I realized I had forgotten to leave room for the drawer slides. Back to the drawing board and more measuring. And what in the heck do you do with a measurement like 19/32??? After a short refresher in algebra and a lot of pencil lead, I figured I could use one strip 3/8ths of an inch wide and one 1/4th inch wide and fill just the right amount of space. Great idea. No 3/8th inch anything in the basement scrap pile. Rats. Will have to wait for a day when the weather is nicer (i.e.-not 412 degrees outside) to go shopping. So, I spent some time painting the baseboards and another little project for the backyard. (memo to self-need some of that quarter round baseboard footing stuff... get the primed stuff this time....) Finally decided to clean up. So I vacuumed. And vacuumed. And vacuumed some more. There was sawdust EVERYWHERE!!! I think I did every surface a dozen times. And no matter how much I cleaned, THERE WAS MORE SAWDUST!!!!!!!!! What the heck?? Just then, one of the catz made a weird noise and I whipped my head around to see what the ruckus was about and my head was instantly enveloped in a cloud of sawdust.... from my hair. Good grief!!!!!!!! I was a walking dustbag!!!! So I fixed that little problem (with apologies to Edvard Munch).

Vacuum 1ala: Edvard M What a hoot!!! Or suck!!! It was a totally cool feeling. I wish I could clean the catz like this!!!!!!!!! But everytime I fire up the vacuum, they take off.... silly catz.

At least I figured out how to save my bathtub drain from a terminal wood clog! I will definitely be vacuuming my head again.

I wonder what it would look like if I used hair gel????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home